Some additional important events that occurred in the Cold War in the 1980’s are:
- 1980– Ronald Reagan elected
- 1983– Reagan reveals Strategic Defense Initiative (Star Wars) plan
- 1985– Gorbachev assumes power in the Soviet Union
- 1986– Gorbachev ends economic aid to Soviet satellite countries, US/Soviets reach short-range missile agreement (Détente)
- 1987– US/Soviets reach long-range missile agreement
- 1989– Soviets withdraw from Afghanistan, China shuts down Democracy revolt (Tiannenman Square), Poland and Hungary gain their independence, Berlin Wall falls, communist regimes fall in Czechoslovakia, Bulgaria and Rumania.